The Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC) is an intense course that equips students with the skills necessary in order to attain a pupillage. The full-time BPTC runs for one academic year; the part-time course for two years.
Just like after your A levels or IB you use UCAS to apply for your undergraduate law degree, there is a portal called the BARSAS to apply for the BPTC. It costs £50 to apply.
There are currently 8 providers of the BPTC course in the U.K. These are:
- BPP Law School (London, Leeds, Bristol and Manchester)
- Cardiff Law School
- Manchester Metropolitan University
- The City Law School, City University London
- Nottingham Law School, Nottingham Trent University
- The University of Law
- Northumbria University, Newcastle
- University of West of England, Bristol
As explained by BARSAS: Providers consider applications in two rounds. Applications submitted prior to the first round closing date will have their first 3 preferences considered in the first round. Applicants who have not received an offer from their first three preferences in the first round will have their fourth, fifth and sixth preferences considered in the second round. Applications submitted after the first round closing date will be considered in the second round by all 6 Providers selected.
The conditions per university tend to be the same but I would recommend checking each university’s conditions. I chose @bppuniversity and their conditions were:
- a qualifying law degree with a minimum of 2:2 (or a pass on the GDL);
- become a member of an inn;
- pass the BCAT (I will explain this in a later post);
- satisfy the English language requirement via IELTS (attaining a 7.5 in Each section) or if you felt your English was good enough then via a skype interview.
Note – when applying for the BPTC, I would personally recommend sending your application in January rather than waiting for the second round applications in April as:
1) you can plan ahead from earlier;
2) university’s have limited places on the BPTC so they fill up quickly.
For more information on all this, have a look at this link – https://www.barsas.com/uploads/BarSAS%20Applicant%20Guide.pdf
***Note: I got the featured picture from the Collegepond website.